It is natural for your dog to use his nose and this course allows him to do what comes naturally.
It is a game of scent detection, initially teaching your dog to hunt for treats or a toy and progressing to different odours in different areas
There are a number of benefits to nose work including:
- It tires your dog out – even the most active dog will sleep better
- You can do nose work at home, in a class situation or on the road
- It is a safe activity for all breeds and ages – even deaf and blind dogs can do nose works
- You work alone so it is safe for dogs that are reactive around other dogs and/or people
- It builds confidence in your dog as they get succeed in something and they have to think for themselves
- It helps strengthen the dog/parent connection with your dog
But most importantly it is fun!
(Ps nose work is now being used as a therapy for anxious and reactive dogs with great results. Feel free to contact me to find out more!